In this lesson, you will learn which errors to avoid and which mistakes not to make in your Brand SERP.
What you will learn in this lesson:
- The consequences of cheating on your Brand SERP
- Specific gray and black hat tactics that will always harm your Brand SERP
- How Google can recognise when you cheat
- What Google does to you when it catches you cheating
- Why Google Panda and Penguin are salvatory lessons
- Why you should not do negative SEO to remove negative results
- Why taking your case to court is not your best solution
Summary of the lesson: Tactics to Avoid and Mistakes not to Make
In this lesson Jason will take you through what not to do, the errors to avoid, and the mistakes not to commit to make your Brand SERP “sexier”.
As Jason mentions in this lesson:
“Your Brand SERP is a reflection of Google’s opinion of you.”
In many situations, taking calculated risks such as cheating, spamming, or taking shortcuts is unavoidable, and that’s fine. But in the post-Hummingbird world, taking a risk with your brand name is not a good idea. Now that Google understands entities, when you do get caught, it’s increasingly difficult to leave that bad mark behind you. Remember that with all these deceptive shortcut tactics, just because something works today does not mean it will work tomorrow. And Google has a perfect, eternal memory!
The great thing about your Brand SERP is that it gets to the heart of what Google thinks about you. If your Brand SERP looks good, then your SEO and digital marketing are on the right track, but if you cheat on your Brand SERP, you are playing with fire for your reputation with Google and that cheating will hurt your credibility.
In this lesson, you’ll learn tactics you should avoid and learn how to avoid making mistakes that will have a negative impact on your brand name. For example, Black Hat techniques can work in certain circumstances, but they are never recommended for optimising Brand SERPs for many reasons, principally because any black hat actions you take will be directly associated with your brand, and your brand is your biggest asset. In this lesson, Jason will explain all the other reasons and tactics you should avoid in order to maintain your reputation and credibility with Google and SEO.
As always, Jason Barnard (The Brand SERP Guy) explains the techniques, tactics and strategies in video format, with accompanying slides to better illustrate his explanations. All lessons offer English subtitles, so the lessons are easy to follow, even if English isn’t your first language. Jason provides additional resources from around the web so that you can expand your learning beyond Brand SERPs!
What’s in each lesson in this course ?
- Introduction (Brand SERPs Foundation Course)
- Optimising Your Homepage
- Triggering and Optimising Rich Sitelinks
- Improving the Results You Control
- Improving Your Social Accounts
- Improving Other Results You Partially Control
- Improving the Results You do not Control
- SEO Tactics You’ll Need
- Optimising Google Ads
- Tactics to Avoid and Mistakes Not to Make